Tuesday, July 13, 2010

wildwood in a whirlwind

Wildwood Hills Ranch

was my home for the first 5 or 6 weeks of summer. And it was amazing! Even though my friends and family never ever want me to go back, I think it was a great learning experience and a great way of growing in my faith.

So I'll start out by talking a little about the people I worked with. The directors ranted and raved after only a couple days of training that this seemed like one of the best groups of team leaders that they had ever had and that they were really excited to see how the summer went with all of us. I could see why they thought that... we all clicked right away and had a really positive air about us, or at least I thought so :).

So after training we went home for a weekend where I got to tell all my friends about how amazing the staff was. And they proceeded to tell me that after that week they already felt like I had been gone forever, and didn't want me to go back. But I was excited to actually get to work with campers, even though I knew I would miss my friends.

So then the campers came. The first week was supposed to be an "easy" week, and then a little girl in my group got lice... and so did like... HALF of my group of 8 and 9 year old girls. It made the week so much more stressful and a lot of people lost a lot of clothes because everyone in the cabin that had the little girl with lice had to have their clothes "de-liced"... if you want to call it that. AND we had to move cabins, and provide the kids with clothes to wear, not to mention there weren't enough bunks in the cabin that we moved into for counselors to stay in, so we had to wait for our other bunk to have the "bug bomb" settle so that we wouldn't inhale the deadly toxins, and get some mattresses from there to put on the floor of our new cabin... Oh, and we didn't have pillows... or any of our shower stuff. Pretty intense. I broke down one night because I was just so stressed because kids were so upset that they weren't going to be able to swim and all this crap because all of their clothes were being washed. Ugh.



That week was pretty much the worst. Most of the rest of my time at Wildwood was pretty smooth, other than some major attitudes from some ghetto or highly medicated kids. Or kids that didn't like getting dirty... which was just annoying. I felt like throwing a mud pie at their face... or maybe not. I may or may not have gotten fired for that. ha

But anyways, its kinda bittersweet that it's already over. I really miss the people that I worked with. They were all amazing and I plan on going back sometime in the next couple of weeks and volunteering and visiting them. :)

But until then... it's SUMMATIME! And I'm gonna live it up!

Listening to: Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack
Watching: Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged Me (BAHA!)

No comments:

Post a Comment